I’m done! I’m done with my pina overdress! Still need to put belt loops but I’m not counting that. I used Claire Shaeffer’s directions for organza double-bias facing. I don’t know if I would do it again because it was a pain! Because the organza stretches on the bias, I measured out 1 1/2 inch on the bias and made perpendicular lines to guide me when I fold it in half.
Then I basted it together measuring about a 1/4 inch from the fold.
I then turned the facing under and topstitched.
I decided to make a fabric covered belt. I purchased the kit from Maxant. They charge an exorbitant price for shipping so I bought several. After several unsuccessful attempts to use wonder tape to temporarily fuse the organza to silk fabric (since the organza itself would show the belt backing), I finally used Mistyfuse. It was very light and once fused was not visible.
Beware when you follow the directions from Maxant with the template. I initially did not check it and cut it out according to the template. I think they just send a generic one. So the cuts went beyond where they needed to be. So double check, before you cut. I had to redo it using another template from another kit using my own outline. Below is the first attempt. Too much of the metal buckle is showing because I made the slits too long.
I also added elastic clear tape to the waistline to stabilize it and prevent it from drifting below the waist. I got the idea from Megan Nielsen’s site. Here are some other shots of the dress.
Hope you are having a great week!