This has been a busy, busy summer. At work, my hospital system went to a new electronic health record program. It will eventually be more streamlined, but right now it just adds a little more stress to patient care. Lucky for me I don’t have to take my work home.
When I haven’t been working, I’ve been on vacation. We took a 12-day road trip from Colorado to California and back. That’s 3000 miles in Westfalia Vanagon. We had a great time and the kids did pretty well. Here’s a picture of us at Delicate Arch, Arches National Park. It was hot and a 3-mile trek. The children complained bitterly, suffered and survived.
Here is another picture of a view from one of our campsites.
Ever since I had shave ice from Ululani’s Hawaiian Shave Ice Stand in Maui, I have wanted a shave ice machine. Seriously considered starting a business in Northern Colorado for shave ice, but you must have a commercial kitchen to do it. So instead, my husband totally surprised me with a shave ice machine for my repeat 40th birthday. It has been awesome with the hot summer days we’ve had. Makes me feel young…best surprise birthday present EVER!
Which leads me to what I have been doing on the sewing front…. Not a whole lot. When one goes on vacation, eats lots of delicious food and then comes home and has an unlimited supply of shave ice, one does not stay the same size. Although, it’s a small change, it is enough to make things just a little snug. I’m feeling unmotivated. Need to hit the gym more!
I was working on the overdress and attempted to use Burda Cap Sleeve Shift Dress but was a fail with the muslin. Tried size 36 but it gaped in the front and then the shoulder seams were too far posterior. I would have needed to make a major forward shoulder adjustment. I’m hoping it was just a fluke for a first Burda pattern download.
So instead I altered Simplicity 5514 by cutting it at the waist and making a bust dart instead of the French dart. I also had just a slight gap in the armscye of my last dress, but it is hard to notice. So I used this technique to fix the gaping. I’m still trying to decide if I should gather the skirt or pleat it.
My sewing room has been a disaster area for several months. In an effort to get organized, my husband jumped at the chance to help me with a pegboard. He cut it to 4×6 feet and then I spray painted it. I did not roughen the surface so the paint scratches off. Doesn’t show much though since it was originally white and is now a pale lavender. Instead of spacers behind the pegboard we mounted it on a frame of 1x2s (painted them a darker purple) with two pieces in the middle for support.
I also purchased Bygel rails, containers and hooks from IKEA. The rails are temporarily hung on hooks because I wasn’t sure about placement. They are stable enough when I use peg locks. I did notice that sometimes the locks just pop off so I found a video that showed how to improve their stability. I just held on to the point with my finger and started bending it while apply heat to the corner. Works great now! The other hooks were purchased from hardware/tools store.
I also got a magnet board and magnetic containers from IKEA.
Easy project that I’m thrilled about. Hope you are having a great summer! If you build a pegboard, please send me a picture!